4 Steps to make 2011 the year of DIY

Saturday, January 1, 2011
Too often I get emails and comments from my readers who want to do great DIYs but feel they don't have the time/tools/know-how/inspiration to get down to the nitty gritty, and to be honest we all feel like that sometimes. But the sense of satisfaction you get when you wear something that you've made yourself, whether it's something small like a headband or bracelet, or something large and more complex like a skirt or top, is second to none. For that reason I've put together 4 DIY new years resolutions that we can all follow to make the most of our time, money and inspiration. This list is useful if you're just starting out with DIY, or if you just want to be on the front foot in 2011(I know I do!).

1. Collect Inspiration
This may seem obvious, and if you're looking at my blog you probably know all about getting inspired to do DIY projects, but it really pays to keep the inspiration that you find. Be it on blogs, in magazines or on the street, try to capture and collect your DIY inspiration. Having this blog has been so great for me as a way to make a note of things I see that I want to make.   If you struggle to collect your DIY inspiration, feel free to check back with my blog regularly to see if anything that has inspired me also inspires you! A great way to start DIY projects is to work with something you find - say a meter of leather you buy from a craft shop, and find a project to suit your material. Have a look at my archives in the right hand side for projects sorted by type of material or item. I sometimes trawl my own archives to find something to make (talk about a bad memory).

2. Make Time
Learning how to turn the 'I could probably make that' thought into reality takes a bit of time and commitment. I make weekly/monthly lists of the DIY projects I want to do, and then plan for the time it will take to find materials, and start and finish the project. Mid last year I promised myself (and you!) that I would do one DIY project per week, and once I did that it was much easier make the time for it, and to channel my inspiration. One project per month or so may work better for you but whatever it is, write it down (or make a mental note - the bf has taught me some people don't make a million lists like me) and go for it! I've been working on a chain harness belt like the one below (its been on my list for agggessss) and it has been a fair amount of work sourcing materials and then making time for putting it together, but it will definitely be worth it.

3. Equip yourself with a DIY Toolkit
It most definitely pays to have the right basic tools when you are embarking on a DIY project. By putting the kit together in advance there will be a lot less barriers when you get inspired to do some DIY. To start the year off right, get a box and put in it all the essential tools for DIY. Everyone's 'essentials' will be different (refer to the above image of a massive toolkit I gave away last year) but at a minimum my essentials toolkit contains the following things:
  • a good pair of dressmaking scissors
  • a box of dressmakers pins
  • a measuring tape
  • chalk
  • black and white thread
  • needles
  • a quick unpick
  • various other sewing bits and bobs
I usually have a box for these basics which I keep adding to as I buy things for specific DIY projects - like different coloured threads etc. I then also have another box for random things (sourced from markets or removed from items of clothing) that I might need for future DIYs, in this box I put things like:
  • chains
  • studs
  • buttons
  • zips
  • ribbon
  • netting
  • broken jewellry
  • shoulder pads
  • scraps of fabric and leather
Everything above can be purchased cheaply at craft stores/ markets and two dollar stores, but if you have a bit of spare cash I definitely recommend adding a glue gun (and a sewing machine - more on this next) to your essentials list.

4. Learn to Sew (and buy a sewing machine)
I keep banging on about this but it really is one of the most useful skills when it comes to DIY fashion.  A whole world of possibilities are opened up to you when you know how to sew. And to be honest, all you need to know at the outset is how to use a sewing machine without breaking it, how to do a straight stitch, how to start and end the stitch, and how to adjust the tension for various fabrics. These small skills are invaluable for DIY, and you can learn the more complex functions as you go along (or not ever haha). Sewing machines are major investments for many of us but are truly worth it, I know I will have mine for a couple of decades at least so in the long run $600 is a drop in the ocean. If its still a stretch, why not get together with a bunch of friends and buy one jointly? This will keep the costs down and if one of you takes to sewing more than the others that person can buy the rest out. Its a great way to have a chance to use and get to know a sewing machine.


Happy DIYing!! Email me if you have any DIY projects my readers and I should know about!