Holiday DIY - Silk Lined Dress

Wednesday, January 5, 2011
Found this gorgeous mid length dress for about £5 in a market in Kandy in Sri Lanka. It had the most horrible white nylon lining though so I got a few supplies together and in the car on the way to Colombo (3 hours to drive 98km... gotta love asia!) I got crafty. I cut out the lining of the top and bottom and sewed some black sheer silk into the bottom, by literally wrapping the lining around and sewing it to the waistband. This simple change made such a difference to the overall look. I left the top of the dress unlined so I can wear sweet little lace triangle bras with it. Don't you just love slightly altering something that you buy for next to nothing and turning it into something perfect?
Cherry pattern dress from market, river island gladiator sandals, zara satchel, ebay cat eye sunglasses.