Outfit Post + Cat Street Antique Market

Sunday, December 12, 2010
When the question of moving to HK came up I was pretty keen, until I learned that there aren't that many thrift stores in the city - Chinese are traditionally weird about wearing other people's cast off clothes. To be honest, that was almost a deal breaker for me, as thrift shopping and scoring bargains is basically what gets me through the day. Ebaying and buying on etsy can be fun, but for me it doesn't compare to the feeling you get from scoring something amazing (for next to nothing) in a shop or market. Sooo, long story short, I was ecstatic during the week to stumble upon the Cat Street Antique Markets in Sheung Wan. Filled with all different sorts of antiques, and a small contingent of vintage and used clothing (yipeeee!) the markets are fantastic. The bf would probably call it all tat (and is very concerned about how much of it will end up in our flat when we get one muhahaha) but as they say, one man's trash is another man's treasure. I ended up in this hidden cave of an antique store that has just about everything you could ever want - and scored a pair of high-waisted leather trousers for $85HK, which is about 6 quid! Was soooo happy. I have always looked at these type of trousers on ebay but never got around to committing. They are a little bit big in the waist so am going to get my Shenzen tailor to adjust them, but its still love. I also have an affection for the kitschy Mao and communist posters and collectables in the market, but am holding back from buying any non-essentials for the time being...
Wearing: vintage leather pants from the Cat St Markets, kookai bustier singlet, reiss mesh heels, DIY tassel earrings.