DIY Weekly: Pearl Collar Top

Tuesday, February 8, 2011
Recently I was inspired to attach two rows of pearls in the shape of a collar to a navy silk top I had bought in a thrift store. It worked out pretty well! Was a first try (and probably more of a prototype) and will be making a few more in the future. The collar isn't as wonky as it looks in the pics, I must have been wearing it funny!
Wearing: DIY pearl collar top, black wool circle mini skirt from Rome, topshop flats, zara black leather satchel (its falling apart after only a few months... thanks zara!), ebay cat eye sunglasses.

This is how I made it:
You need - a silk top or tshirt, pearl beads, glue (and some ear buds and pencil/chalk).
1. Sketch the collar on the shirt using the chalk/pencil, I used a leather collar necklace I have made previously (see here for the DIY) to trace the collar pattern.
2. Once I had the collar pattern right (I tried it on a few times to see what it would look like), I glued the pearls on along the line of the sketched collar.
3. I used ear buds to put the glue on and then placed the pearls on top of the glue.
4. I went all the way around the outline of the collar, making sure they were straight and in line with the outline.
5. I did a second row of pearls inside the first row.
6. Finally I let the glue dry. Voila!
I think next time I will make the collar a little bit more petite.